CONDITIONS OF LICENCE - HACKNEY CARRIAGES
This Licence is granted subject to the following conditions:
1. No person other than the driver duly licensed by the Thanet District Council as a Hackney Carriage Driver shall drive the vehicle to which this licence relates.
2. There must be in force in relation to the vehicle a policy of insurance or security as complies with the requirements of Part VI of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and also a policy of insurance which covers the vehicle for the carriage of passengers for public hire and reward.
3. In the event of any accident causing damage affecting the safety, performance or appearance of the vehicle, the proprietor shall notify the Council in writing as soon as practicable and in any event within 72 hours of the accident.
4. The proprietor of the vehicle shall notify the Council in writing of any transfer of his interest in the vehicle within 14 days and shall specify the name and address of the person to whom the vehicle has been transferred.
5. The proprietor of the vehicle shall present the vehicle for inspection and testing by or on behalf of the Council, within such period and at such place within the area of the Council as they by notice reasonably require.
6. There shall not be displayed upon the vehicle or the windows of the vehicle any advertisement, emblem, motif or any other devices or material except:
i. Such plate as is required by Licence Condition No. 11.
ii. A "top sign” as required by Licence Condition No. 7.
iii. There may be displayed the name and telephone number of the hackney carriage firm or proprietor for the licensed vehicle. The lettering and numbers which may be on a clear backing sheet so long as it is no larger than is reasonably necessary to accommodate the wording shall:
* be in either black or white, and
* not obscure the vision of the driver, and
* be no more than 5cm (2'9, and
* only be in a single line, and
* be on the front or rear windscreen, but not on both.
iv. Vehicles that are of the design of the traditional "London Style" hackney carriage may, subject to the prior approval of the Council, have advertising on their exterior. Such advertising may only be:
(a) as full livery, i.e. use of the complete exterior body shell as the advertising medium with the exception of the boot lid, or
(b) on the lower part of the front and rear door panels only.
v. Advertising may be displayed on the rear of the driver’s and/or passenger seats. Advertising will not exceed a maximum size of 21cm x 30cm and no more than two signs may be displayed. Advertising content must comply with the Council’s Guidelines.
7. i (a) There shall be displayed externally on the roof of the vehicle a "top sign" (hereinafter referred to as "the sign").
(b) The sign shall be not less than 25cm (10") in length (and in any event, capable of displaying the mandatory sign requirements).
(c) The word "TAXI" shall be displayed on the side of the sign facing the front of the vehicle and may also be on that side facing the rear. The letters shall be clearly legible, not less than 5cm (2") in height and in a contrasting colour to the background.
(d) The words "For Hire" may be displayed on the side of the sign facing the front or rear of the vehicle.
(e) The telephone number or name of the hackney carriage firm may be displayed on the side of the sign facing the rear of the vehicle. Any letters and numbers shall be not more than 5cm (2") in height.
ii. The sign shall incorporate a light which shall be illuminated when the vehicle is plying for hire. The light shall be extinguished throughout the whole time during which the vehicle is actually hired or when not in the area for which it is licensed.
iii. A vehicle complying with the Metropolitan Hackney Carriage Office Specification (FX4 type vehicle or similar London style cabs, is exempt from paragraph (i) above, so long as it displays a sign bearing the word "TAXI" visible from the front and is in all other respects to the satisfaction of the Council.
8. The fares tariff card issued by the Council, listing the table of fares notified to the Council as being operative shall be conspicuously displayed at all times within the vehicle when being operated as a hackney carriage.
9. No hackney carriage shall be used in the district under a contract or purported contract for private hire except at a rate of fares or charges not greater than the tariff approved by the Council in relation to hackney carriages, and when any such hackney carriage is used the fare or charge shall be calculated from the point in the district at which the hirer commences his journey.
10. Upon the revocation. expiry or suspension of this licence the plate issued in respect of the vehicle shall be returned to the Council within 7 days after the service of notice by the Council upon the proprietor requiring him to do so.
11. There shall be displayed the numbered plate issued in respect of that vehicle by the Council on the rear exterior of the vehicle.
The Council may suspend, revoke or refuse to renew this licence if
(a) The vehicle is unfit for use as a hackney carriage
(b) Any offence or non-compliance with the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 or the Town Police Clauses Act 1847 is committed or
(c) Any other reasonable cause